The CLEL Bell Picture Book Awards are a new, annual recognition of five high-quality picture books that provide excellent support of early literacy skills for young children.
One picture book will be selected annually in each of five categories: read, write, sing, talk, and play. To be eligible for the 2014 CLEL Bell Awards, a suggested book must be a picture book published in the United States between January 1 and November 15, 2013, and meet the following criteria:
- Theme or content related to one of the five early literacy practices: read, write, sing, talk, or play
- Distinction or uniqueness in presentation of relevant theme or content
- Supports and/or models parent and caregiver engagement with their children through early literacy practices
- Ability to appeal to parents or caregivers and their young children (ages birth-5) of diverse family situations
- Excellence in writing, illustration, and design
- Excellent book production (quality paper, binding, cover, etc)
Fiction and nonfiction are eligible.
There are no restrictions as to nationality or residency of the author, illustrator, or publisher.
Books previously published internationally are eligible as long as their first US publication date is January 1, 2013 through November 15, 2013.