Welcome to the CLEL 12!
What is the CLEL 12?
The CLEL 12 is a new initiative of Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy. It consists of twelve self-directed, self-paced early-literacy related actions you are invited to take.
It is inspired by the Learning 2.0 Project “23 Things,” designed by Helene Blowers, which was itself based upon Stephen Abram's article, 43 Things I (or You) might want to do this year and the website 43Things.
Why should I participate?
By taking action in these 12 ways, you will:
- strengthen your role as an early-literacy advocate
- increase your participation in the early literacy community
- further your own professional development and education
- expand your knowledge of the CLEL organization
How do I participate?
Jump right in! Choose one of the 12 actions, and work to complete it. Then go on to another one! We’d love to hear about your experiences, so we’ve included commenting on each of the activity pages.
There is no schedule, or official timeline. Work at your own pace and do the activities in your own order.
However, we will recognize everyone who completes 12 actions in time for the next CLEL Annual Meeting!
What are the 12 actions?
The actions are listed below. You will notice there are actually 16 activities listed. Choose the 12 that are the best fit for your own situation. Clicking on each action will take you to another page, where the actions are described more fully, and where you will be invited to comment on your progress.
- Make a comment on a CLEL blog post.
- Tell CLEL about an early literacy program or service at your library.
- Share a great picture book for storytime on the CLEL Facebook Wall.
- Develop an idea for a CLEL blog post.
- Invite a colleague to join CLEL.
- Introduce yourself as a member of CLEL at your next professional gathering.
- Find a CLEL member in your area and send an email to introduce yourself.
- Attend a CLEL Steering Committee meeting.
- Contact your county’s Early Childhood Council and introduce yourself.
- Make a presentation at a staff meeting about early literacy.
- Choose one of the CLEL Monthly Advocacy Tips and take action!
- Read about one piece of state or national legislation that has an impact on early childhood services.
- Attend a continuing education training or workshop.
- Share an early literacy tip or best practice on a listserv.
- Learn a new song or rhyme from the Storyblocks site and use it in storytime.
- Share an early literacy activity idea for parents to do with their children.
I’m all done! What do I do?
Congratulations! Please fill out this quick form and let us know which activities you completed, and let us know a little about your CLEL 12 experience. If you have any questions, please send us an email with “CLEL 12” in the subject line.
Everyone who completes 12 activities and fills out the form by the next CLEL Annual Meeting (date TBD; usually held in the fall) will be recognized at the meeting and receive a small prize. We intend for the CLEL 12 to be an ongoing project, so if you aren’t able to complete the 12 actions by our next meeting, we will recognize you at the one after that!