Here are four of the CLEL 12 actions. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Have you completed any of the activities on this page? Let us know what you are working on! Leave us a comment below and let us know about your challenges and successes.
Action 1: Make a comment on a CLEL blog post.
We can't wait to hear what you have to say!
- Go to the CLEL Blog and scroll through the recent posts.
- When you see one you like, click “Read More” to see the whole article.
- Then click on “Add New Comment.”
- Fill out the subject box and the comment box, and then click “Preview.” You'll see your comment and have a chance to edit if you'd like.
- If it's ready to go, fill out the word verification box and then choose “Save.” Your comment will appear after moderation.
Action 2: Tell CLEL about an early literacy program or service at your library.
Have you started offering literacy-based storytimes? Do you send volunteers into local childcare homes to share books with children? Are you planning workshops for parents based on the new Every Child Ready to Read materials?
Whatever you're doing at your library, we'd love to share it with other CLEL members.
- Write a few paragraphs about an early literacy program, service, activity, or event sponsored by your library. Let us know what you do, who you do it for, where you go, how long it's been offered, and how your staff prepare and present it, or whatever else you'd like to share about it.
- Send in your description. Put “CLEL 12 Early Literacy Service” in the subject line.
- We will work with you to turn it into a blog post to be inspiration for other libraries!
Action 3: Share a great picture book for storytime on the CLEL Facebook Wall.
Help your colleagues keep their storytimes fresh by telling them about a new book you love!
- Log in to Facebook from your personal or your library's account.
- In the top search box, type “CLEL.” Look for our logo and select the CLEL page.
- Type the name of your book and why you like it in the “Write something” box.
- Bonus step: If you like, add a link! Find the page for your title on a site like Goodreads, LibraryThing, or Tattered Cover. Copy the URL and paste it into the “Write something” box along with your comments. Facebook will automatically include a thumbnail image of your book if one is available.
Action 4: Develop an idea for a CLEL blog post.
What thoughts and expertise would you like to share with CLEL? What ideas would you like to see us explore on the CLEL blog?
- Write an email with a few paragraphs about an early literacy topic. Here are some possible ideas:
- Share why you're involved with early literacy efforts
- Describe an early literacy program at your library and ask for feedback from blog readers about it
- Ask a question about early literacy that you'd like to see addressed
- Any early literacy and libraries-related topic you think would be of interest to blog readers
- Put “CLEL 12 Blog Post Idea” in the subject line.
- We'll work with you to create a post for the CLEL blog!
Did you enjoy these activities? Would you like to keep going? Ask about getting involved with the Communications Committee!
Are you all done with your CLEL 12? Let us know about it!