Literacy-based storytimes offer libraries a way to be partners in education with parents and caregivers. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy supports the definition of a literacy-based storytime as one that contains the following components:
- Parents and caregivers who are invited (though not necessarily required) to attend storytimes with their children
- At least one early-literacy skill is highlighted during each storytime
- Storytime leaders who model activities that build early-literacy skills
- Books and activities that promote the use of early literacy skills
- Information about early-literacy skills and/or tips for building skills are provided to parents and caregivers during storytime, either verbally or through a handout
We've gathered some resources that may help you as you develop your literacy-based storytimes: online storytime tutorials, how to choose books and activities that reinforce early literacy skills, ideas for providing literacy tips for parents and caregivers, and building infant storytimes. Coming soon! Sample scripts and plans for early literacy storytimes!