Literacy-based storytimes offer libraries a way to be partners in education with parents and caregivers. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy supports the definition of a literacy-based storytime as one that contains the following components:
- Parents and caregivers who are invited (though not necessarily required) to attend storytimes with their children
- At least one early-literacy skill is highlighted during each storytime
- Storytime leaders who model activities that build early-literacy skills
- Books and activities that promote the use of early literacy skills
- Information about early-literacy skills and/or tips for building skills are provided to parents and caregivers during storytime, either verbally or through a handout
We've gathered some resources that may help you as you develop your literacy-based storytimes. Check them out in the grey box to the right. Then...
See below for blog posts related to storytimes: