All children deserve to experience both the joy of reading and the skills in life that literacy provides. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy is passionately committed to strengthening children’s literacy through library services and community advocacy.
In January 2008, staff from more than a dozen Colorado public libraries and the Colorado State Library collaborated to develop a comprehensive approach to deliver and support early literacy services statewide. Fiscal agency support has been provided by CLiC (Colorado Library Consortium) since 2011.
Membership in CLEL is open to anyone involved with children, libraries, or early childhood education who supports our mission statement. Our activities are directed by a Steering Committee appointed from the general membership. The Steering Committee oversees six standing sub-committees:
- Annual Conference
- Advocacy & Fundraising
The Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL) collaborates with organizations around the world to provide Early Literacy information and resources for librarians, children, and their caregivers. These collaborations are based solely on the benefit provided to children and the thoughts and opinions of these organizations do not necessarily reflect those of CLEL.
- Educate and train library staff in providing early literacy storytimes for children and caregivers.
- Increase awareness of the importance of early literacy to all communities.
- Cooperate with other state and national agencies involved with early literacy.
- Promote the role of libraries in providing early literacy experiences.
2023 Annual Report
In 2023, Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy bolstered our many professional development offerings with member Mini Grants and Annual Conference that attracted 284 participants—16% higher than the industry average and an increase from 2022. View the full 2023 Annual Report.
Many libraries around the state support CLEL monetarily to promote and champion our goals.
Up to $250
- Alamosa Public Library
- Berthoud Community Library
- Buena Vista Public Library
- Cañon City Public Library
- Eagle Valley Library District
- East Morgan County Library District
- Lake County Public Library
- Lyons Regional Library
- Pine River Library District
- Poudre River Public Library
- Red Feather Mountain Library District
- Salida Regional Library
- Security Public Library
- Vail Public Library
- Arapahoe Libraries
- Bemis Public Library
- Montrose Library District
- Rangeview Library District
- Wilkinson Public Library
- High Plains Library District
CLEL gratefully acknowledges the continuing support of CLiC and the Colorado State Library.
Information updated Sept. 2022.