Literacy-based storytimes offer libraries a way to be partners in education with parents and caregivers. Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL) supports the definition of a literacy-based storytime as one that contains the following components:
- Parents and caregivers are invited to attend storytimes with their children
- Early literacy practices are highlighted during each storytime
- Storytime leaders model activities that build early literacy skills
- Books and activities are intentionally selected to promote early literacy skills and practices
- Information about early literacy skills and practices and/or tips for building skills are provided to parents and caregivers during storytime, either verbally, via a handout, or both
Early Literacy Tips
A key component of early literacy storytimes is sharing information with parents and caregivers through handouts and early literacy reminders.
Many libraries find it most effective to add a verbal message for caregivers during storytime. Using reminders that flow naturally into what is already happening in storytime can help make giving reminders easier and more fluid.